A quick detour from our recent road trip included a stop at the beautiful, historic Wolf Creek Tavern in Wolf Creek, Oregon.
According to signage outside: “Wolf Creek Tavern was built in 1883 by Henry Smith, a highly successful and influential local entrpreneuer. The establishment of the hotel, mercantile and post office occurred at the time the Oregon & California Railroad was being completed in Wolf Creek.
It is thought to be the oldest continuously operating hotel in the Pacific Northwest. The building is a superb example of the Classical Revival architecture style of early inns of the American West.
When the Pacific Highway reached Wolf Creek in 1922, traffic increased, as did the number of clientele stopping at the Tavern. In 1925, hotel owner-manager John Dougall added a guest wing, kitchen and semi-circular driveway with gateway signs. His creative marketing included claims that famous guests, such as Rutherford B. Hayes, Jack London and Sinclair Lewis stayed at the Tavern — claims that endure as local legend.
Wolf Creek Tavern was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, conveyed by the state of Oregon in 1975, carefully restored by local craftspeople and reopened in 1979 by Oregon State Parks.”