Located in darling Ashland, Oregon, the John and Charlotte Pelton House was built in 1894 by local builder W. J. Schmidt. The Peltons were natives of the Rogue Valley area. Charlotte’s parents, Oscar and Lucinda Ganiard, were prominent members of Ashland’s business and real estate community.
John Pelton ran a meat business and served as Ashland’s sheriff in 1892. Although the Peltons divorced in 1901, Charlotte lived in the house until her death in 1926.
The two-story dwelling exhibits Stick style elements including wood frame construction, steeply pitched gabled roofs, a projecting bay, stickwork paneling, cut outs, sunbursts, and lattice trim as well as Eastlake details. The Pelton House is T-shaped with the parlor wing, the stem of the T, extending north toward B Street. By its size and distinction as an example of Eastlake architecture, the house is regarded as a pivotal building in the Railroad Addition Historic District. A one and one-half story rental house was also built south of the primary dwelling facing First Street.
It’s on the National Register of Historic Places.