Built more than 100 years ago, the brick building behind Snickers was converted by Dan Smith into a hotel in 1913. During prohibition, the lower floor was a speakeasy called “Silver Mirror.”
A ghost sign from its hotel days is still painted on the side of the building.
According to truckeehistory.org: “A native of Truckee, Smith was associated with many of the town’s outstanding developments. At an early age, he learned the barber business and later owned and operated the Rex Hotel. He was also in the automobile business, owning a Buick dealership. He served as head of the Truckee Motion Picture Association which was responsible for bringing many Hollywood movie productions to the area. He also promoted many other valuable civic projects, such as organizing many memorable Fourth of July celebrations.”