This Tudor Revival home was built in 1929 for James and Maurine Merritt. James was the son of George Merritt, a well-known and prosperous farmer, rancher and banker, and was a successful farmer and rancher himself.
Forrest and Rose Monroe bought the house in 1947. Forrest was the Yolo County Sheriff from 1939-1970 and lived here until his 1981 death. Forrest followed in his father’s footsteps; James Monroe was also Yolo County Sheriff from 1911-1939. Yolo County’s Monroe Detention Center, which opened in 1988, is named after the crime-fighting duo.
The enormous oak tree in the front yard (only partially pictured because of its size) is estimated to be at least 300 years old. The house received the city’s Heritage Home award in 1993.