Built in 1910, The Comstock-Shadle House was built for pioneer merchants James and Elizabeth Comstock, and is one of the best preserved historic properties in Spokane, Washington.
Perhaps the most historically significant feature of the house is its association with the Comstock and Shadle families, widely recognized as among the most charitable benefactors living in early 20th-century Spokane.
A New York native, James Comstock moved to Spokane in 1889, becoming the Vice-President of the Spokane Dry Goods Company, President of the Dry Good Realty Company, and serving on the Spokane City Council from 1894-1899 with two of those years as the city mayor. The dry goods store became The Crescent, a hugely popular department store in Spokane for more than a century.
Businessman Eugene Alexander Shadle and his wife, Josie Comstock Shadle , (James Comstock’s daughter) lived in this residence after 1920. They previously inhabited the dwelling next door, from 1912-1920. Chateauesque Spokane County Courthouse finished in 1895.
Both the Shadle and Comstock families are well known around Spokane for their philanthropy, contributing heavily to a multitude of city parks, schools and other buildings.
This house was the work of Willis Ritchie, a master architect who practiced in Spokane during the late 1890s and into the 20th century. He also designed the spectacular Chateauesque Spokane County Courthouse (1895).
The Comstock-Shadle House is included as a contributing property in the Ninth Avenue Historic District which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. The Comstock-Shadle House, along with three other properties, were included in their own district, the Comstock-Shadle Historic District, which was listed on the Spokane Register of Historic Places in 2006. The Comstock-Shadle House was also listed independently on the Spokane Register in 2006.