The origin of this little house in Concord, Mass., is something of a mystery.
Although the surviving detail and form of the main section indicate a construction date around the 1870s,
the only building of these proportions shown on maps for this area first appears in 1889, when a house of this footprint is shown slightly to the east.
It continued to be there until at least 1903, and was possibly moved to make space for the building next door.
It is thought to be the house of a French-Canadian blacksmith named Arthur Cloutier, then purchased by a “Mr. Tower”– either Alonzo or his son, Fred, who is shown as owner by 1906 — and converted into a modern dwelling. Cloutier likely bought the house from the Hagerty family, who probably built it.