This Marblehead, Mass., structure was built in 1791, as the shop of Thomas Le Master, a mariner and retailer.
In 1820, it was converted into a residence, and by 1850, it was owned by J. W. Snow, who had many small houses in the area as rental properties.
After at least two additional owners, Maude Crowley eventually settled into this home. A New York native, Crowley (nee Jacobson) graduated from Berkeley Institute in Brooklyn in 1925, and received the equivalent of a masters in journalism from Columbia University in 1932.
She worked as a full-time reporter after graduation. In early 1938, she married Joseph Crowley of Salem, Mass., moving to Boston later that year after their son was born.
Crowley moved to Marblehead in 1944, publishing several children’s books starring a character named Azor. In addition to teaching Norwegian and writing in the adult education program at Marblehead High School, she also took part in many volunteer activities; she served on the board at the Abbot Library and as a guide at the King Hooper Mansion.
Crowley died in 2000 at the age of 92.