According to research prepared for Historic Salem, Inc., this building was constructed for John Warden before 1777, and remained in the Warden family for more than 100 years. The 1874 map indicates that it was owned by Miss Anne Warden, who is also listed as the owner on the 1897 map.
Despite its old age, it hasn’t had all that many owners. T.O. Williams is listed as the owner on the 1911 map. The building was occupied by Clara Hammond from around 1920 to 1940 and by Richard and Sylvia Murphy from around 1960 to at least the early 1990s.