While the exact build date isn’t known, the Henry J. Walcott House is thought to have been built around 1870.
Walcott (1846-1909) was a Concord native, a member of the Social Circle and held many public offices, including Town Treasurer, Water Commissioner and a Library Trustee. During this childhood, he helped out in his father’s grocery store on the Milldam. He later took courses from a Boston “commercial college,” and worked at Albert Stacy’s store before becoming a partner with James C. Melvin in a “cent shop.”
After the Concord National Bank was robbed in 1865, he was appointed assistant cashier of both the National Bank and the Middlesex Institution for Savings, which shared the same room in the old bank building.
In 1869, at age 25, he succeeded John Cheney as cashier and had this house built shortly afterward.
Walcott got married to Ellen (Shepard) Johnson, and the couple moved to New York between 1883 and 1888 after Ellen inherited the firm Christy, Shepard & Garrett from her brother. Henry managed the company, which was the largest wallpaper manufacturer in the country, and it became Christy, Walcott, & Co.
Meanwhile, they rented out this Concord house.
The Walcotts returned to Concord, and Henry went into business with C. Brigham Co., a milk distributing firm which collected milk along the Boston & Albany Railroad line to sell to Boston dealers .
Another partner in the company was his nearby neighbor, Alonzo Tower. The Walcotts spent their winters in Boston during this time, and for at least part of the time rented the house.
Henry Walcott retired from business in 1908. His wife survived him, and after his death his son, Dr. Henry J . Walcott, Jr., returned to Concord from Springfield and lived in the house for many years.