So lovely against this snow and blue skies, the Adams-Blake house is an 1850-built house in Bedford, Mass.
Dr. Abel B. Adams (1811-1884) owned the property in 1857, and is thought to be its original owner. The Wayland, Mass., native was a Harvard Medical School graduate who began practicing medicine in Bedford in 1837.
In 1841, Adams married Susan Merriam, youngest child of John and Mary Merriam, who had inherited her parents’ property to the south. Dr. Adams survived four of his five children (the surviving child being S. Augusta Adams, who married George H. Reed of Lexington).
In 1865, Dr. Adams moved to Lexington, where he continued practicing medicine. Adams sold the property to Joseph Hartwell (1806-1869), who retired to this house in the village in 1865 from his farm in South Bedford, where Hanscom Field is today.
Hartwell had one daughter by his first wife and three daughters by his second wife, the former Elizabeth Page Taylor, who remained here into the 1890s.
By 1900, Alfred Elmer Blake lived here. He was the son of Edwin Henry Blake and the former Mary L. Parkhurst, and grew up next door, in a house later owned by his younger brother, Charles Warren Blake.
He married Fannie Belle Rowe in 1887 and they had three children. Like his father, who operated grocery businesses in Bedford and Cambridge, A. Elmer Blake ran a grocery on The Great Road near North Road in 1894, later moving the business to South Road by 1899. He left the grocery business and was employed as a motorman on the electric streetcar line (1910), the town’s superintendent of roads (1919), and foreman in a candy factory (1920), before retiring by 1931.
Moses Rowe, A. E. Blake’s father-in-law, resided with here with the Blake family in 1909. That year, he was awarded Bedford’s first Boston Post cane, given to the oldest resident in the community.
Later, in 1963, Ellis P. McCurley, an engineer, and his wife, Virginia, lived here.