The Lafayette-Durfee House in Fall River, Mass., was built sometime before 1750.
Owned by Judge Thomas Durfee, the house used to be on a vast property in a different location, but Durfee mortgaged his land to help finance the Revolutionary War.
His son, Joseph, became a colonel and served at the Battle of White Plains and also in Rhode Island with Marquis de Lafayette, a French aristocrat and military officer who fought in the war. Joseph was also at the helm of the Battle of Fall River.
Lafayette visited the Durfee home in 1778 and at other times.
In 1872, the house was moved to its current location, and was owned by the Lewin family until 1936.
Carolyn Durfee, a descendent of Thomas Durfee, helped form a group to preserve the house in 1973.
A non-profit group maintains the house and offers tours during summer. Displays include furniture, weaponry, 18th century hand-stitched clothing, medical and surgical equipment and household items.
The Lafayette-Durfee House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Visit the official website here.