Built in 1860, the Thayer House in Newton, Mass., was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Stephen O. Thayer was a local printer, and his family owned the house into the early 1900s.
Adding to its architectural significance, “elaborate scrolled trim embellishes the window lintels,” reads its nomination for a spot on the Historic Register. “Leaf and floral motifs are applied to the gable fields. The corner pilasters have unusual capitals with cyma-curved metal ribbons.”
Its combination of Gothic and Second Empire styling make it an unusual addition to Channing Street in the Newton Corner neighborhood. The back of the house includes a mansard roof addition.
It is now a two family home that last sold in 2011 for $500,000. It is currently assessed at $797,000.