This Craftsman-style home in Sacramento, Calif., sit on land that was once occupied by Gerig’s T Street Dairy from the 1870s to the 1890s, when the city passed an ordinance banning dairies within city limits.
The dairy moved and in 1908, James and Kate Remick built this two-story home. James worked as a salesman for Hall, Luhrs & Co., a wholesale grocery; Kate was the sister of a brick contractor named John Haley, business partner of William T. Murcell. The home’s brick foundation and porch suggest it was designed and built by Murcell and Haley.
Haley build a similar home for his own family in 1910, just a block away from this one.
When the 1910 census was held, five people lived in the Remick household: James, Kate, and their infant daughter; plus Kate’s sister, Mary Haley and a servant named Carrie Beffa, one of several live-in servants at the home.
By 1912, James had left the grocery business and managed an automobile supply store, the Remick-Appleton Company. In 1915, Haley left contracting and joined James’ firm, which was renamed the James S. Remick Co.
The Remicks lived here until 1920, when they sold the house to Albert W. Smith, president of a wholesale grocer, and his wife, Daisy. Albert died in 1935, but Daisy remained here for another 13 years before selling the house to Dr. Claude L. Megowan, a veterinary surgeon who had retired from his post as Sacramento’s health and food inspector a few years prior.
Later owners included the manager of an American Legion post, and a Vietnam War correspondent for Newsweek.
John and Alex Ives bought the home in the 1980s and remain there today.