Built in 1871 by William Hurd this building was the first brick building in Truckee.
It was originally Hurd’s Saloon and Hall and later the Capitol Saloon. It was also used by the Piper Opera Company and then for the County Court.
From truckeehistory.org: “Hurd came to Truckee after working in the mining area at Rough and Ready. He opened the Capitol Saloon and restaurant in 1868. After a fire destroyed the wood building, he replaced it with a two story brick structure in 1870 which is today known as the Capitol Building, the oldest building in Truckee. The Capitol Saloon was the site of the famous gunfight between two Truckee constables, Jacob Teeter and James Reed.”