Located in Woodland, California, this Victorian cottage was built in 1873, likely as a rental for the city’s founder, Frank Freeman.
The shiplap siding, cut-away gables, rounded exterior shingles and decorative brackets are reflective of exterior additions and changes over time, consolidated into an 1890s architectural style.
The magnolia tree in the front yard was planted by Mrs. Belle Day in the 1800s.
In 1946, the house was purchased by Frank W. Stephens — son of early Yolo County pioneers, George and Nancy Lucan Stephens — and his wife, Edith. Edith was the daughter of a California state engineer, Marcellus Nurse, and his wife Mary, whose parents were among the earliest pioneers in Capay Valley.
The Stephens daughter and her husband, Evelyn and Murray Pryor, bought the place in 1968. They lived there for many years with their daughter, Molly. The Pryors daughter and son-in-law are the most recent owners.