The White-Johnson house is the only remaining Mansard style roofed house in Woodland, California. It was built in 1882 by its first owner, William S. White (1848-1936), who began his building career in Woodland working as a construction foreman for contractor Sam Caldwell. He also briefly worked for his brother, Charles’ company, Glenn & White, before he and his wife Imogene moved to Tehama County, where they farmed for 10 years.
They returned to Woodland around 1896. William developed nthe Cash Lumber Yard and also developed many upscale Woodland homes in the early 20th century.
William was elected to the city Board of Trustees, serving from 1907-1911.
In 1890, this house was sold to John Johnson who came west in 1853 as a miner, later going into farming.