One of few early brick buildings left in Sacramento, this house was built in 1861. Frank Hereford, a Southern gentleman Aristocrat, and his wife called it home until 1865. A rising politician, Hereford had served as county district attorney for several years.
When Hereford’s wife died suddenly in 1865, it was too sad and lonely to remain in the sprawling home any longer. He picked up and moved to Virginia, where he served in that state’s Congress and U.S. Senate.
During the 1870s, another county official Coroner Robert Wick, lived here. Katie and John Arnold (who was a partner on the wholesale firm, Sneath & Arnold) were its next owners.