The sign on the Irvine Mansion in Sacramento, California, reads as follows: “Place of boarding for Gov. James Budd and Gov. Henry T. Gage during their administrations. Boulevard Park Historic District, Sacramento Heritage.”
County Assessor Richard C. Irvine had this house built around 1883. A Missouri native, Irvine came to California with his parents and finished out his public schooling here.
He began as a clerk as a general merchandise shop in El Dorado County until 1870, when he moved to Sacramento. There, he worked as a salesman for a wholesale saddle company, eventually becoming a partner. Irvine sold his interest shares in 1891, and spent 1891-1895 as the county assessor, before being appointed by Governor James Budd as a member of the bureau of highways.
During 1896, he resigned to head up a large saddlery in Los Angeles but returned to Sacramento after a year and headed up of the Capital Soap Company until 1898. He bounced around to several positions, all having to do with the development of streets in Sacramento, finally being appointed superintendent of streets.
Irvine and his wife, Adelaide (Wells) attended society functions regularly and contributed to Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
By all reports, Irvine was friendly and fun to be around. He was a founder of the MacNeil Club of Sacramento, and was a leading local worker in the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Knights of Honor, Loyal Order of Moose and the Masonic Order.
Source: “History of Sacramento” by William Ladd Willis.