It’s a double feature today, with the Fotheringham Residence and House, which are right next door to each other in the Historic Browne’s Addition neighborhood of Spokane, Washington.
Built in 1891, the glorious Queen Anne was the family home of David B. Fotheringham, a successful building contractor and community leader. Fotheringham lived in a temporary home situated next to this house (see below) as it was constructed.
The house was finished in 1891, the same year Fotheringham became Mayor of Spokane. Soon after, he set his sights on the adjacent lot across the street and built the Patsy Clark Mansion (see slide 4), which was designed by famed Spokane architect Kirtland Cutter.
Fotheringham remained in this house until 1926 when Fay E. and Ina Dobson purchased the home and converted it into an apartment building. In 1984, the house was partially restored and remodeled and became a bed and breakfast, which it remains today.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Built in 1889, the Fotheringham House, was his temporary residence during the building of the above house.
This house is significant as a contributing building in the Browne’s Addition Historic District and for its association, though brief, Fotheringham.
Mrs. Mabel C. Williamson, widow of Victor Williamson, bought Fotheringham’s first house in 1915, remaining there until 1960. James L. Red, a Spokane salesman, bought the house around 1970, and the property today remains in the hands of the Red family as a single-family residence.
It is a contributing property in the Browne’s Addition Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places 7/30/1976 and on the Spokane Register in 2019.