The original building at this location in Auburn, California, burned down in 1870. The current Joss House was built in 1920 by Charlie Yue, who was among the many Chinese immigrants who came to the area in search of gold.
The building was intended to educate children, and be a place of worship for those who practiced Buddhism and Confucianism, but also served as a boarding house for travelers.
Today, it serves as a museum that details the many contributions of the Chinese customs and culture, both in Auburn and beyond.
The original Joss House altar from the 1860s is still inside.