The original owner of this house in Falmouth, Mass., built in 1730, was the Reverend Samuel Palmer. He was the town doctor as well as the first ordained pastor of the First Congregational Church, serving from 1730 to 1775.
The street on which this house lies — Palmer Ave. — is named for him. But the house itself is named for later owners, the Conant Family, before being acquired by the Falmouth Historical Society in 1966.
As one of the organization’s Museums on the Green, the Conant House is home to its research library and staff offices, as well as the “Falmouth: Changing with the Times” exhibit.
Its highlights include a 1939 jukebox, a lifeboat fixture from luxury liner Andrea Doria, which sank off of Nantucket in 1956 and a cannonball that was possibly fired from the HMS Nimrod during the War of 1812.
A video featuring daily life in the town during the 1940s is also available for viewing.