In 1668, John Edwards bought this property in Ipswich, Mass., and built this house the same year. (1668 — that’s not a typo!)
However, the house is named for tailor Joseph Willcomb ,who bought it before 1762, and whose heirs lived here for many years after.
Originally, it was one room deep with a lower roof. In 1782, Willcomb initialed the sheathing in the stairwell.
In 1953, the house was partially restored, which included exposing some of its ancient frame.
The house, in a National Historic District, has 6 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, five fireplaces and more than 3100 square feet.