Most commonly known as the William Pickman House, this brick beauty in Salem, Mass., was built in 1823. The 1837 directory and 1851 map both list Pickman — a cigar maker — as the owner.
By 1864, physician and postmaster George R. Loring lived here. His public office posts include President of the Massachusetts Senate and member of Congress; Commissioner of Agriculture under Presidents Garfield and Arthur; and minister to Portugal under President Harrison.
Two decades later, marble worker Richard M. Clapp was its occupant.
By 1897, Jennie M. (Bertram) Emmerton lived here. Jennie was one of six children of John Bertram, a wealthy Salem merchant, shipowner and philanthropist. Bertram was married three times; Jennie was his daughter by his first wife, although still lived at home by the time he married his third wife, Mary Ann Ropes.
Jennie married George R. Emmerton, president of Merchant’s National Bank and of Ropes, Emmerton & Co. Their daughter, Caroline was a historic preservationist known for her association with the House of Seven Gables.
Caroline Emmerton also hired Boston architect Arthur Little to alter the home in Colonial Revival style. The renovations are documented by drawings and include interior alterations, as well as the entry, cornice detail, rear additions and more.
The Emmertons lived here until 1942 and the home sat vacant until 1945. Frank Gallagher of Gallagher Plumbing & Heating purchased it, living here while also leasing out rooms and units to five tenants. It remains a multi-unit building today.