The Francis Munroe House was built by its namesake in 1845 during the height of the Greek Revival period. However, around 1910, it underwent a substantial renovation, and its facade was updated with Federal Revival elements.
Munroe’s brother, William Munroe Jr., later built his own house across the street.
Francis (born 1814) first worked with his father, William in his pencil-manufacturing business. In 1844, he married Phebe Davis of Gloucester and this house was built for their wedding.
After his father’s death in the mid-1850s, he sold the pencil factory and moved to Vermont, where he was involved in a lumbering business. The house was rented out during this time.
The lumber business failed, however, as did Mr. Munroe’s health, and he returned to Concord and this house in the mid-1860’s. He served for a short time as Concord’s Superintendent of Public Grounds, and died in 1870 at the age of 55.
Phebe Munroe continued to live in the house until her death around 1910.
Manufacturer Abram Hoffecker, bought the house, making extensive alterations and additions to the house. It was evidently he who updated the building with much of its Federal Revival detailing.
Hoffecker died sometime before 1930, the year his wife died. The property was subsequently owned, at least through the 1930’s, by Dr. John Baker.