Built in 1760, the Jonathan Hosmer House is considered to be the best preserved of three intact Colonial saltbox homes in Acton, Mass.
The Hosmer family was an early family in Acton, with Jonathan Hosmer (1712-1775) serving as a selectman, town clerk and was a Deacon at Acton’s first church. But it was his son, Jonathan Jr. (1734-1822) who built the home upon his marriage to wife, Submit Hunt (1737-1812).
Hosmer was a farmer and a bricklayer, and the eight fireplaces in the house attest to his skill. Jonathan Jr. and several of his brothers served during the Revolutionary War. His brother, Abner, was killed at the North Bridge in Concord in April 19, 1775, and Jonathan’s eldest son, Jonathan (III) died in service in Vermont in 1777.
In 1796, a separate “half-house” building was attached for the family of Jonathan’s son, Simon. In addition to the Hosmer’s large family, a free Black person, Quartus, lived here for at least 30 years. Simon sold the homestead in 1839, one year before his death.
Francis Tuttle — who ran the Center Store and served Acton as Town Clerk, Selectmen, Justice of the Peace and as a State legislator — wound up buying the house in 1846. With his wife, Harriet, they had twelve (!) children. Four of their daughters were married in the house.
Other different homeowners lived there until 1971, when a period of neglect, vandalism took place and the Hosmer House suffered major damage from two fires.
In 1976, the Town of Acton acquired the property and transferred the house and garage and 2.7 acres to the Acton Historical Society.
The Society began the complete restoration, and the house now functions as a public museum with permanent collections and hosts presentations, exhibits and events spondored by AHS.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.