This Greek Revival house was built in 1848 by master builder Beniah Littlefield for Horace Porter. It’s right on Main Street in the heart of Kennebunk, Maine.
The land was originally owned by Porter’s father, Joseph, who ran a tin shop here.
Horace had a lot of dough and had this seriously sweet crib built for his retirement. It is similar to the Captain Nathaniel Lord Thompson house, which was also built by Littlefield.
Horace and Nathaniel were step-brothers, so clearly, good taste in architecture ran in the family.
After Horace’s death in 1864, the property changed hand several times. Finally, in 1952, the Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Wells Water District bought it to use as it headquarters in 1952.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.