The Abijah Thompson House was built in the 1830s or 1840s, but the first known owner was Thompson (1827-1912), who bought the Winchester, Mass., Gothic Revival home in 1854.
By trade, Thompson was a leather manufacturer, and served as the first vice president of the Winchester Historical Society, gathering much information and artifacts of the town history. He served on numerous town committees and founded the Winchester Times newspaper (which failed), and formed the town’s Masonic Lodge.
Thompson built a new house in 1867 and moved there.
At 2813 square feet, the house has three bedrooms, two bathrooms and last sold for $727,500. It is currently assessed at more than $1 million.
The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.