This majestic 1902 house in Newton, Mass., is a gorgeous example of Georgian Revival styling.
“With its monumental pedimented front, Ionic pillared portico, and swelling entrance bay with delicately fan lighted doorway, this house stands out among the finest, even in a town of
extravagant Colonial Revival homes of the late 19th century,” reads its nomination for the National Historic Register of Places, on which it landed in 1986. “Sleeping porches at either end of the main block of the house mark its era with its concern for healthful living.”
The home was first owned by the family of Frank M. Sheldon, who worked for a Boston steam and gas pipe firm. They lived there until 1927.
By 1931, Dr. Marius Smith-Peterson and his wife bought the house. A noted orthopedic surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital, Marius Smith-Peterson made advancements in both hip surgeries and, with colleagues, developed a nail for neck fractures which is a frontrunner for modern devices.
By 1953, widow Hilda was living there alone. Over the next two decades, it changed hands several times.
With 4,829 square feet, the house has 9 bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, four fireplaces. It is currently assessed at more than $2.8 million.