This is the smallest house we’ve visited so far, but its charm is palpable from the minute you see it. Built in 1823, this 544-square foot, two-family farmhouse was erected for the descendants of Caesar Robbins, a formerly enslaved Black Patriot.
A veteran of the Revolutionary War, Robbins was enslaved most of his life, and began farming in 1780 on two acres of land owned by wealthy farmer, Humphrey Barrett. After Robbins’ death in 1822, his son, Peter bought this house and more than 13 acres of land overlooking the Concord River meadow from Barrett.
The house and farm became home to several of Concord’s established African-American families over the next 40 years. During their residency, the Robbins’, Garrisons and Hutchinsons each lived in their own room, which served as a kitchen and living area, and had sleeping quarters above in the garret.
It was common to share a home and land at that time in Concord, and helped people live independently and support themselves.
The last African-American occupants of the house were Peter Hutchinson and three generations of his large family. They resided there from 1852-1868. The Robbins house was sold at auction in 1868 and relocated, where it remained a residence until 2007.
Saved from demolition in 2010, the Robbins house was restored and moved to its current location, about 1000 yards from its original spot.
Loads of rich information about the Robbins House and its occupants, as well as photos of the interior, are available at the official website.
[…] Robbins House is about a five minute walk […]
[…] often calm and tranquil. It’s a bit of a mob scene on weekends, as the Old Manse and Robbins House are just a hop, skip and a jump […]