Built around 1692 in Lincoln, Mass., this was home to Captain William Smith (1746-1787), the commanding officer of the Lincoln Minute Men. Located on Battle Road trail in Minuteman National Historical Park, the house was witness to the first acts of the American Revolution.
When the British advanced past this house on April 19, 1775, Capt. Smith rallied the townsmen and his militia took part in the first offensive actions of the American Revolution.
A wounded British soldier was abandoned, then cared for in the house by Smith’s wife, Catherine. Not able to overcome his injuries, the soldier died and is buried nearby.
For more information, visit the National Park Service website.