On this site, Father Raphael de Luxumbourg Capuchin, pastor of the Parish Church of St. Louis (later the Cathedral), opened the first school in French Colonial Louisiana in 1725.
Classes in reading, writing, music, French, Latin and religion were conducted for beginners. In liberal arts for the more advanced students.
The original hosue which served as a school, was purchased from Augustin Langlios, among early teachers in this school for boys were Pierre Fleurett A. Layman and the Cupuchin Brothers St. Julien and Cyril.
The current building is home to the Place d’Arms Hotel.
625 St. Ann St. New Orleans