Built in 1890 for G. M. and Kate Grainger, this home in Ashland, Oregon, encompasses Italianate, Stick and Eastlake elements.
Designed by local builder W. J. Schmidt, the residence embodies distinct characteristics of these styles–steeped, hipped roofs, a two-story projecting bay, stick paneling under and above windows, curved brackets, and perforated panel and bargeboards. Of approximately 500 19th-century houses in Ashland’s local and National Register historic districts, the Grainger House is one of the best representatives of this style.
Mr. Grainger was a prominent Ashland mayor who presided over the city government during construction of Ashland’s City Hall in 1891. When the Graingers’ purchased the house in the early spring of 1890 the Ashland Daily Tidings reported: “Mr. G. M. Grainger, who had purchased the Fountain property on the corner of Granite and High Street will make a great improvement in the place beginning as soon as he obtains title and possession. He will build a new front addition to the house and will have one of the neatest and prettiest residences in town.”
During Grainger’s mayoral terms many improvements were made to the city-sidewalks, streetlights, and additions to the city park. After he left office, the family continued to be active in city affairs. When their daughter was married in 1903, the ceremony took place at the bay window in the front parlor. During their tenancy in the house, the Graingers occasionally boarded individuals or small families to supplement their income, a tradition continuing today at the many Ashland bed and breakfast establishments catering to theater patrons.
It is on the National Register of Historic Places.