Even in the darling historic downtown of Truckee, California, this mansion is a standout.
It was built in 1873-1874 by W.H. Kruger, a partner in the Truckee Lumber Company and a significant contributor to the development of this Sierra Nevada mountain community.
During a time when railroads were the next big transportation movement, Kruger and his partner, E.J. Brickell, responded to companies’ needs to build tracks connecting the Atlantic to Pacific Oceans. Kruger’s business success allowed him to build this home in a section of Truckee called Brickeltown, named after Brickell.
It was the fanciest and most detailed home in the area, clearly showing that it belonged to an important family. It was designed as a single family home before becoming a hotel in the 20th century.
In 1904, the house was sold to C.B. White, a local businessman and banker. From that day on, it was known as the “White House.” Despite that, its association with Kruger as a founder of Truckee is its most significant connection.
It is now an RMU Truckee, an outdoor equipment store that also serves food, cocktails, and offers live music.
The building is on the National Register of Historic Places.