Richard Wall was among the Quakers that arrived in Pennsylvania with William Penn in 1682. Along with 14 others, Wall purchased land to create the Cheltenham Township, which was named after the main town in Gloucestershire, England.
The original portion of this house was also built that same year, and served as an early meeting place of the Society of Friends (1683-1702). Additions were built around 1725 and 1805. In 1694, Sarah Wall married George Schumaker and their descendants lived here until 1847.
Four other families lived here until the Township purchased it in 1932, becoming the residence for Township Manager Harold Pike in 1941. His stepchildren, the Flecks, left some toys and cards in the attic nursery. Mrs. Pike was its last resident after becoming a widow in 1979.
In 1980, the building was placed under the aegis of the Cheltenham Township Historical Commission. After being rehabbed through donations and fund-raisers, it opened as a house museum, which it remains today.
It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and noted as the oldest house in Pennsylvania with continual family occupancy.