Before the Sutter Creek auditorium was built in 1928, this was the site of various livery stables. It was named after John Sutter (1803-1880).
According to historic plaque out front: In memory of General John A. Sutter, benefactor of the State of California, who mined here and gave Sutter Creek its name and under whose regime gold was discovered.
This town was named after Sutter, who came to the region in 1846. There was little activity in Sutter Creek until 1851, when quartz gold was discovered. In 1932, the central Eureka mine, discovered in 1869, had reached the 2,300 foot level. By 1939, it was the best-paying mine at Sutter Creek.