The Southern Pacific Company built this stick style house in 1887 for Dr. T.W. Huntington, the chief surgeon of the railroad.
Dr. Huntington is credited with performing the first appendectomy in California in 1890 and the “first antiseptic operating room on the West Coast.” The Southern Pacific Hospital was once located nearby.
In 1899, Ludwig Anderson, a painter and builder, bought it. The Hernandez family owned it after him.
According to “Vanishing Victorians: A Guide to the Historic Homes of Sacramento,” the home still had original hardwood floors, wooden doorknobs and brass hinges. The full basement once included living quarters from Huntington’s Chinese servant. It also has a hand carved mahogany staircase.