Are you ready for this fabulous American Foursquare home in the Pacific Northwest? Built in 1909 in Spokane, Washington, it was built for Lulu Cornelia and Charles W. Hill, a pioneer and president of the long-running C.W. Hill Printing Company.
The couple had two children: a son, Leslie, who became an ordained minister in Redondo Beach, California; and a daughter, Edna, who worked in the family business and eventually married one of its employees, Earl Durand Hirscher.
The Hills lived in this house for 28 years until Charles’ death in 1937. After he died, Lulu gave the property to their daughter and son-in-law, but she continued living there with them.
Hirscher took over the company, growing it from a handful of employees to a more than 30 workers. The print shop was well-known for its state-of-the-art technology and he officially bought the business in 1942, working there until his retirement in 1969. He was active in trade and business groups and belonged to a variety of social groups as well.
They sold the property in 1948 to Ireta and Edward Pattison, who owned the Crescent department store downtown. Over the years, it also belonged to the manager of a mortgage brokerage, general manager of New York Life Insurance Company, and an attorney who bought it in 1958 for $17,900.
It sold to Virgil and Katharina Worden in 1977 for just under $55,000. Employed in part by the German-American Society, the Wordens finished the basement into two apartment suites and allowed visiting members of the club to stay there.
The house sold in 1989 for $87,500. A few years later, it sold for $164,500 to Dr. Kathleen Meyer, a Spokane neurosurgeon who restored and rehabilitated the property.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.