During the 1850s, Horatio Gates Livermore, and later his sons, Horatio P. and Charles E. pioneered the development of ditches and dams on the American River for industry. The one historic result was the Folsom Power House, which began operations in July, 1895.
Power was delivered to Sacramento at 11,000 volts, which was a new achievement in long distance high voltage transmission. The capital celebrated by a grand electric carnival September 9, 1895.
The original generator plant, still in place, remained in continuing operation until 1952.
The plant was donated by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. to the state of California to preserve its historical value.
It is a California Registered Historical Landmark.