A National Historic Landmark, the Governor John Langdon House was built in 1784 in Portsmouth, N.H.
A merchant and shipbuilder, John Langdon was a Revolutionary War hero, signer of the Declaration of Independence and three-term governor of New Hampshire. The home remained in the family until 1833.
According to Historic New England, which now owns the property, “The house tells the story of the early colony of New Hampshire, Portsmouth’s mercantile boom, and the Colonial Revival movement.”
Charles Burroughs, rector of St. John’s Church lived here with his wife, Anne, from 1836 until his death in 1868. Anne remained here until she died in 1877.
It was then sold to a descendent of John Langdon’s brother, and the family eventually restored it to its 18th century appearance. They added a substantial wing designed by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White to house modern necessities.
In 1947, it was deeded to Historic New England.
It’s on the National Register of Historic Places.