The Hutton House in Spokane, Washington, is one of the finest examples of Neoclassical architecture in the city. Built in 1914 by Spokane architect George W. Keith, it was erected for Levi and May Arkwright Hutton, two of Spokane’s noted humanitarians and civic benefactors.
They made their money in the successful Hercules Mine and used it to support social reform in Spokane and surrounding areas. A dedicated champion of the women’s suffrage movement, May worked hard to ensure women could vote in Washington State.
Meanwhile, Levi focused his efforts on children, opening the Hutton Settlement, one of the best-designed and longest-lasting orphanages in the country.
“The settlement was designed to provide a “Happy Home” for children while teaching them skills through working on the farms located on the site,” according to SpokaneHistorical.org. “The Settlement is privately funded through a carefully organized trust funded by the Hutton fortune, and was intended to be self-sufficient by using the crops grown on the property for food. In addition to the 9 buildings on the site, there is a barn, vegetable garden, and land for farming.
Upon his death, Levi Hutton secured the future of the Hutton Settlement by giving almost all of the Hutton fortune to to the project.”