Happy July 4 from the most patriotically decked out historical home we’ve seen: Captain’s Manor Inn in Falmouth, Mass.
The structure was built in 1849 by sea captain Albert Nye for his Carolina bride, Henrietta Forbes. He built it in southern plantation style — likely the only house of its kind on Cape Cod — allegedly to help her stave off homesickness. A Falmouth native, Nye built his wealth in New Orleans as a merchant, and then returned to the Cape and his shipping business.
Unfortunately, his business failed during the Great Panic of 1857 and in 1872, the house was sold to Captain John Robinson Lawrence, a retired whaling captain turned businessman.
Located in a National Register Historic District, the building is listed under the name Mostly Hall. It was Lawrence’s family that dubbed it as such because of the 30-foot hallways upstairs and down. A child allegedly referred to the home as “mostly hall.”
Lawrence’s son, Henry V. Lawrence, lived in the house until his death at the age of 92 in 1953.
After remaining vacant for a few years, the house was purchased by T. Gilbert Brouilette of Staten Island, who displayed artwork in the building each summer, including his own collection featuring Renoir, Picasso and Monet.
The house has operated as an inn since at least 1989.