Happy International Women’s Day! In case you didn’t know, women rock. And so much old house history revolves around men, it’s refreshing to come across something that isn’t entirely man-centric.
The Brick Store Museum in Kennebunk, Maine, is one of only 21 United States museums (out of 35,000) to be founded by a single woman. An artist and international traveler, Edith Cleaves Barry (1884-1969) inherited the building in 1932 from her uncle, William Lord.
Lord (whose historic mansion is coming in a future post) constructed this building of locally-kilned bricks in 1825 and it served as a dry good store on Main Street.
After opening the museum, Edith needed more space so she bought neighboring historic buildings, which were built between 1810 and 1860. It was one of few institutions to open during the Great Depression.
Through art, culture and history, the museum celebrates local people and places through rotating exhibitions. Visit the official website here.
It was built in 1825 by
William lord. It was used as a general store when first built.
Bricks for the construction were fired locally. During the mid-nineteenth century, the second floor was used as an auditorium where
various local organizations met. The building is now used as a
museum and art gallery by the local historical society. A lovely
structure it has seven windows on the facade all with eight over eight
lights and shuttered. The entrance is to the right of center, a
simple door with a rectangular light overhead. It is gable roofed
with twin chimneys rising from the front side of the roof. A lovely
balustrade sets on the street side of the roof. There is an outside
stairway to the second floor on the right side of the building. This
small but well preserved building is the keystone of the commercial
buildings along this section of Main Street.