Built in 1904 by Henry Bradford Endicott, this monster mansion in Dedham, Mass., was built to replace Endicott’s former homestead, which burned to the ground earlier that year while the family was away.
It turns out several other fires were blazing in town at the same time, and the fire department was unable to get to Endicott’s home in time to save it.
Endicott took this loss as a sign: Rebuild, and make it a million times better. So constructed a monster estate on more than 18 acres of land, which features rolling hills and all kinds of lush trees.
The new home — the Endicott Estate — had nine bathrooms, eight bedrooms, a library, music room, a ballroom, mirrored parlor, butler’s kitchen, linen room and servant’s quarters.
“When a radiator burst during the construction, causing a raging river to crash down the main stairway, he tore down one end of the house and burned a pile of beautiful wall paneling, parquet floors, and elegant woodwork, much to the dismay of his neighbors,” according to the Wikipedia page. “An additional 70′ was then added onto the house. Construction cost $60,000.”
On the outside, the house is just as beautiful detailed on every side.
And, after all this work, he wasn’t gonna lose this fat crib to another blaze. He also bought the town a new fire truck.
When Endicott died in 1920, he left the house to his wife, who then handed it down to her daughter, Katherine in 1944. Katherine lived there with a staff of 12, and died in 1967 without children.
Katherine willed the property to the town for “public educational purposes, public recreational purposes, or other exclusively public purposes.”
The town wasn’t sure what to do with the property, so they offered it up to the Commonwealth as a possible site for the Massachusetts Governors Mansion. After discovering it would cost a million dollars to renovate it into what they wanted and needed, the Commonwealth gave it back to the town in 1969.
The Endicott Estate is now used for events, weddings, art shows and a variety of other events. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.