The Gothic House was built in 1845 in Portland, Maine, and is part of the Spring Street Historic District. It is also known as the John J. Brown House.
Designed by Irish immigrant Henry Rowe (1812-1870), the house is described in city promotional materials as the finest example of Gothic Revival architecture in the state of Maine.
Previously located closer to the Port District, it was moved in 1971 to avoid demolition. A Holiday Inn is now in its original location.
The Spring Street Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
(This was our second trip to Portland when it began pouring down rain, so please excuse these gloomy shots.)