In 1802, Daniel Chute built this house in Reading, Mass. One of Reading’s first shoe manufacturers, Chute owned much of the property along the area of its street.
He built a small outbuilding, too, which served as a girls academy in 1809. It was run by the Eaton sisters, founders of the New England Moral Reform School, who intended to promote moral purity. Sounds like a great time. 😏
Dr. Abner Phelps lived in the ell in 1826, with an office in the house.
The Chutes adopted Mrs. Chute’s niece, Nancy Sanborn, daughter of Rev. Peter Sanborn. Nancy was the heir to the property, and when she married Samuel Carter, it became known as the Carter property.
Carter owned a steam lumber well and was in the express business, sending goods, mail and stage coaches to Boston.
While the house was originally a Federal style home, Samuel’s son, William, did extensive renovations and had “W. Carter” engraved in the granite steps.
The Carter Mansion has five bedrooms, three bathrooms and 3,641 square feet. It last sold in 2015 for $880,000. It is currently assessed at $1.02 million.
It was listed on the National Register for Historic Places in 1984.