Built in 1830, this house and its farm house (c. 1805) were moved to their current location in Arlington, Mass. Around 1850, some more Italianate details were added to the home.
About 20 years later, it was financier Edward Hornblower who likely added Renaissance revival elements to the structure. Hornblower was the founder and manager of Hornblower & Page brokerage, which later became Hornblower & Weeks after Edward’s son, Henry, took it over with a new partner.
The firm went on to become quite successful, with 93 retail sales offices in the United States and Europe at its peak in the 1970s. During the first half of the 20th century, Hornblower was active in financing automobile companies, including Dodge Motors, General Motors and Hudson Motor Car Company.
A late 1970s merger meant the Hornblower name was finally retired. A few other merger and sales led the company’s roots to become part of American Express.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.