Set atop a grassy knoll on the grounds of Longfellow’s Wayside Inn, the Martha-Mary Chapel was built in 1940 by industrialist Henry Ford, during the time he owned the inn (1923-1945).
The chapel was built mostly using trees that fell during a 1938 hurricane and was named after Ford’s mother and mother-in-law. At the time, Ford had an experimental Wayside Boy’s School and the young men from there constructed the nondenominational church.
It features gorgeous stained glass windows, and a Waterford crystal chandelier hangs above the church pews. It is only open for weddings and other special events.